Author(s)

Habib H. Alqamis

 

Abstract

In the last decade, nanomaterials made a major breakthrough in the concrete industry by providing the concrete with unique properties.

Earlier studies have shown improvement in the early strength of concrete that can accelerate the construction process. In this study, 1% and 2% of nano-silica were added to concrete mixtures that contain 30% and 70% ground granulated blast-furnace slag (GGBS).

Adding 1% of nano-silica to the 30% GGBS mixture showed an increase in the compressive strength by 13.5%, 7.8%, 8.1%, and 2.2% at one day, three days, seven days, and twenty-eight days, respectively.

The 2% of nano-silica increased the 30% GGBS mixture’s compressive strength less effectively by 4.3%, 7.6%, and 4.9% at three days, seven days, and 28 days, respectively, when compared to the 1%. On the other hand, adding 1% and 2% of nano-silica reduced the 70% GGBS mixtures’ compressive strength.

Moreover, nano-silica reduced the deformability of the mixtures significantly, which caused the increase in the Young’s modulus. The flexural strength of the 30% GGBS mixtures had similar behavior as the 28-day compressive strength. On the other hand, the flexural strength of the 70% GGBS mixtures increased as the nano-silica increased.

Nano-silica addition improved the microstructure and the interface structure of the mixtures due to its high pozzolanic activity and the nano-filler effect, which is confirmed by RCPT results and SEM images. View Full-Text.

 

Keywords

nano-silica; GGBS; nano-filler effect; pozzolanic activity; nucleation site; agglomeration effect

 

READ MORE
Share